As the Parish Church, St Andrews sits outside of the main village of Dinas Powys. An Iron Church was built on land given by General and Mrs Lee in 1881. This was subsequently sold to the Scout Association and a brick built Scout Hall now stands on the site. As the population grew, another brick church was built on Cardiff Road in 1897 and this was converted into a private house in the 1970s. A new church to replace the Iron Church was desperately needed and in 1929 on St Peter’s Day the foundation stone was laid by Mary Alexander and the present St Peter’s Church was completed a year later….
St Andrew’s, St Andrews Major
The chancel arch was rebuilt between 1860 and 1891. A window depicting St Peter and St Andrew was constructed to replace the existing east window. In 1889 the walls and ceiling were painted in red, green and gold leaf. Only the painted ceiling remains as the paint on the walls was removed after being damaged by damp in the 1950s.
The stone pulpit replaces the pulpit from which Charles Wesley preached when he visited the church in 1740. It was installed in 1835. The bowl of the font is Norman and was carved in Sutton stone which came from the quarries near Ogmore-by-Sea.
Chrystal Tilney, in her booklet about the church of St Andrew-in-the-Vale states that there has been a place of Christian worship on the site of the church since Norman times. As with many churches St Andrews is made up of extensions and additions. The 13th century building started with a nave and a chancel. In the late 15th or early 16th century the nave was remodelled and the church extended with ‘an arcade of five slender arches’ (Tilney, 1980). A north aisle was constructed beyond this, originally with 4 windows consisting of 3 panes of glass. One of these was subsequently blocked and the others remodelled.
The last parts to be added were the tower and porch in the early 16th century. The tower has two stages and battlements with the second stage containing 5 bells. The tenor bell has the name of the Rector,Nathaniel Wells.
The photograph here in the centre is of the old Bier house. Once used to store the wooden platform/cart for transporting coffins it now houses a disabled toilet.